Weekly Qbasic and Qb64 Lesson Topics
March 29, 2024, 08:45:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to see a specific Tutorial? ASK!

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Alzheimers disease

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alzheimers disease  (Read 483 times)
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« on: March 28, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »

Dose anyone know much about Alzheimers disease,...I know, or from what I have heard it is very devastateing, I wonder when or if the first symptoms appear, how fast dose it develope ? , and Just because sometimes it is harder to remember things, then it use to be, anyway sometimes it seems like it is, that dose not necessarily mean you have it ?....
  On a few very rare occasions, in the last couple of years, I had the most peculiar, sensation,  for a brief moment, of not knowing where I was, or going, almost like nothing,...then it past, went away,...the first time I found it very disturbing, scary,..later when it occured again, it was more of "oh no, not again"
type feeling, and it went away, fairly quickly,...along time has gone by and this has not happened again, so nothing seems to be getting worse, what other things can cause this ?...I know back when I drank alot, that was not a unusual occurence, ( becomeing confused, disoriented) so I kind of think it is just left over from the damage done by drinking to much ,...some 25 years ago.
 I have never asked a doctor, about this, in fact I have not seen a doctor in over 4 years, except a few months back, when I cut my arm, but that was just to sew it up, ......
 I kind of feel like maybe , especially as a smoker, I would prefer not to know what a doctor might say, besides, they always used to just jump to the conclusion, that it is the smokeing, and never really look at anything else that might be the problem,...
 After all said and done I believe God will take care of me, when it is time to go,
there is nothing doctors nor I can to do to change that. Like wise I have to hang in there, and keep on liveing , as long as God wants me to, weather I like it or not,...I do enjoy liveing, don't get me wrong,...but sometimes I feel "tired", and like I just want to go to sleep and never wake up,...this has been normal for me, all my life, but I always wake up, thank God, and another day,.......
 Guess thats about it, I need to get some sleep,..
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dustie Bear

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:30:51 am »

Hi Garry

Im not knowledgeable about Alzheimers other than what I can tell
you about my dad who had it.

As I recall we started noticing symptons when he was in his late 70's.
He lived to be 91 years old before He passed away.

When he would get into those forgetfull moments his mind, He would actualy
be in a time frame of his early years. He had been a farmer all his life. I recall one incident his mind went way back when he was still using horses to farm with
years and years ago. On one occasion he thought I was the hard man who worked for him many years ago,  He told me to go get the mowing machine ready
because the hay was almost ready to cut. There are many other times when his mind would be in other situations of his earlier life.  These times were always real times of his past. Not just a make beleive dreams or something.
 Then for a time he would come out of it but towards his last days his mind was
almost always living in the past.

In my opinion from what Ive seen my dad go through, He didnt seem forgetful,
his mind was just living earlier times of his life and he was living them
all over again. One day during one of his bad times he explained to me what
all the parts of a harness(used on a horse to pull plows,hay wagons etc) were.
He explained what each part was in great detail and the names of those parts.
I never could understand how he could remember so much of the past and yet
think he was someplace else or not know who we were.

When his mind would come back to reality he didnt seem to recall
that his mind had gone goofy.

There are many things that can cause people to become forgetfull and one of
those is your diet. One thing is our brains need certain vitamins and minerals to function properly. this situation can usualy be corrected by proper diet etc.

I dont beleive alzheimers effects each person the same and there are some
who seem to have symptoms of alzheimers who have been miss diagnosed.

Im not going to start a sermon here but I to beleive in God, I beleive Jesus
came and suffered on the the cross to pay for my sins.

Dustie

Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:08:28 am »

I did a google, on this, after I had posted, and found some stuff,...
One thing I noticed, is it is very common, in older people, after 60, but some memory loss is normal,..
 It also said, the first symptoms can be in a 2 to 4 year period before they start to
get worse, or become a problem,... this I would interpret as, if there is no chnage,
or "getting worse", of any ocaasional memory loss, like I mentioned , in the next couple of years,..then thats good,
 It also mentioned like  you said, there are many things, includeing diet, that can effect memory,..This also would include, stress, or when one is over tired,...
 Another thing that they said, is , reading, and being able to understand what one reads, becomes difficult,..this has never been a problem for me, other then, when for example "code" is real complicated, or new, but thats different, ....and would be normal...
 Guess thats about it for now, I need to get ready for work, I got wondering about this, when you mentioned, not remembering where you have posted, and I too, often have a similar problem, but they also mentioned, useing "car keys" as a example, it is normal, people forget where they left the car keys,..some times, or IE: where we posted,...but some one with alzhiemers,  will pick up the keys, and not be able to remember what they are for.....so I guess that is to say, as long as we remember we did post something, were ok !,...kid of just kidding,...hah!,...I have posted, and not remembered it, until I saw the post,
....but I suppose if it was alzheimers, I would see the post, but not remember that the name is mine ?....
    Later,
 from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

OlDosLover
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 10:36:58 am »

Hi all,
    Its a disease. Science can not cure it as yet. What science has said that keeping your mind busy with crosswords, maths , chess , word games etc stalls it. Basically mental activity that uses problem solving parts of the brain are the best like programming. Chess is another excellent remedy. Just stay mentally and physically active is the best shot at it i reckon. What's coming is coming. I've had those moments also Garry. But i've had a lot more moments when everything worked.
OlDosLover.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: