Weekly Qbasic and Qb64 Lesson Topics
April 18, 2024, 09:58:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to see a specific Tutorial? ASK!

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

TCP/IP--Good Old Days ,hamradio

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TCP/IP--Good Old Days ,hamradio  (Read 380 times)
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« on: April 22, 2011, 09:19:54 am »

On the other hand, back in the old dos days, I had 2 computers, a laptop, and one at home, at that time I was useing ham radio, but also had a modem, for internet,or "landline" connections (phone), I could connect to the home computer, with my laptop, from any where, either by radio or phone, like wise, anyone (hamradio) could connect, and anyone that had the number(phone), could connect via the modem, in fact some one could connect by phone, and the "switch", to my radio,and connect to another radio station,...or vice verse, for example I could connect to my home by radio, switch, to the phone modem, send the number I wanted to dial, and make a phone connection, even though I had no phone in the truck,..it was pretty neat, none of this was useing windows, it was all with dos,and dos software,..and it really was not that hard to set up,...Before I set it up our phone bill was running $1,500-2000 dollars a month, which was my motivation,...after I invested in the radios, computers, TNCs (terminal node control),and modems, and had it set up, our phone bill was about 15.00 a month, ---Ive gone and gotten way off topic, sorry---those were the good old days,...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dustie Bear

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:20:07 am »

Thats realy sounds neat but sure sounds complicated to me.

Looks like it was worth everything you put into it though.

Dustie
Report Spam   Logged
OlDosLover
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »

Hi all,
    $1500 to $2000 reduced to $15 is a BIG saving! Good old DOS!
OlDosLover.
Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:17:16 pm »

Yes it is, I suspect,though also, that is a lot of the reason, some of this stuff has become so complicated, you can imagine how much the phone companys and internet servers would lose, if everyone could just set up there own stations and servers, etc,...simpley and easy,....What would the net techs do if it was a simple as connecting a cable, installing a simple program...,they would go out of buisness,....ahh so much for the good ol days,,...However, I am thinking, it could be worth while, to learn , the modern techniques, A guy probabley could make a decent liveing, just setting up office networks, installing printers,etc....
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: