Weekly Qbasic and Qb64 Lesson Topics
March 19, 2024, 02:57:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to see a specific Tutorial? ASK!

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

QB64 compared to VB (visual basic)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: QB64 compared to VB (visual basic)  (Read 4538 times)
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« on: May 02, 2011, 08:01:34 am »

Can a qb64 program be converted to visual basic, if they have the original .bas code, (source) ? or in reverse, if one had all the source could a VB pgram be converted to qb64,...I know nothing about VB, I did try it a litle, and made a window with a button, but it seemed to me like kind of a useless, sort of programming method,..so I am just wondering about the differences,
Guess thats about it from Garry (got to run)
OOPS! edit: I had put this in reverse, How hard would it be for someone to use a QB64 program, as a model, and convert it to VB
Here is a link to the question I answered,...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ahgl5Yo5ghPRD7duxkmYtEPty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110502053109AAvYVti
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:11:57 pm by GarrisonRicketson » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Unseen Machine
Post Demos

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:01:37 am »

VB can run some QB code, but not much. Nowdays the VBasic that exist is far detached from it's origins. That being said, you can do allmost anything in QB64 so with a lot of work it could be done. I am making VQB02 at the moment so you will soon have a lot wider range of features available in the GUI for QB64.

Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:06:29 pm »

Ok Unseen, Thanks, I made a edit, because at my first glance I though I had it in reverse,...
I am making VQB02 at the moment so you will soon have a lot wider range of features available in the GUI for QB64. 
This sounds interesting, now I have more time, to explain, my question...
http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=AgnoZRJ5XmmM7ep5aEMlCHVy7hR.;_ylv=3?sid=396545663&link=list
I enjoy the above link, I like looking thru it and if I can answering questions, of course, in the rare occasions, that I encounter a question related to qbasic,or basic, I point them here,...often there are some asking the best way to learn to make a game, so I point them to Oldoslovers Ideas behind Makeing a game,....
 So any way a guy was asking for any ideas, about a good end of year or "final" project, that could be done with VB, so I  offered the idea on the catch the bunny game, you remember, ? and gave him a link to the 2 versions on drop box, one is the one with GDK, and the other, just qb64, and I was wondering if , with the code, and executable, as a model, if he could do it in VB, sound like if he has done his home work he probably can,...? There seem to be a lot of people useing VB, I did not like it, personally,...but if there is even a small thread of relationship, I acn suggets they check out qb64, and like wise when your VQB02 is ready. Since I can not pay for google advertiseing, the yahoo question and answers, is a good source for "advertiseing" this forum,....it is a lot of work though browseing 100s of questions, looking for ones that are looking for what we have to offer,....I want to add I really do hope you stick around, cause if and when we get a lot of beginners, I am going to need all the help I can get, OlDoslover, has done alot with his tutorials, and Dusty too, now also yours,...One thing I like, for me, here is, the one on one, type tutoring , one can get,...Haa! the only thing is, it has kept me so busy, setting it up, posting in yahoo, etc,...I hardly get the chance to study much code,....and the lessons, that OlDoslover has posted, and yours,...After all said and done , though, when I get bored with one thing,(yahoo answers), the I jump into trying some code, or a new code I have not yet learned well.....so I enjoy it.
Thanks for being here from Garry
P.S. This is thequestion I answered,
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ahgl5Yo5ghPRD7duxkmYtEPty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110502053109AAvYVti
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:15:01 pm by GarrisonRicketson » Report Spam   Logged

OlDosLover
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:43:00 pm »

Hi all,
    What unseen says is correct. It is possible for some VB code to run in QB64 and viceversa. VB allows a new programmer by using the "package" to create something that fits into the users operating system. Thats the windows look feel and functionability. Although a VB and a QB64 program may do the same end result the methods used are different. Usually these methods are not interchangable. Which means the VB way carnt be done directly in QB64 as its a different language.
    I looked into VB once and was amazed at the number of variables that a program uses. The programmer actually only uses a few but the package provides the rest so it fits into the os. A new comer , in my opinion, only should concern themselves with the simplest code that can achieve their task. After all its the idea , not the method, that needs to be learnt at this stage. Once they understand the idea then they are more aware of what each "package" requires to add on to make a working program.
    As we all know 10 programmers will come up with different methods to make a working program in the same language. This makes it seem even more complicated. VB can make some common methods , so it seems easier, but that ease comes at the cost of freedom of method. The perfect language allows the programmer the freedom to use any method but supplies very little that HAS to be included. Its this "included" stuff that puzzles a new comer as in their minds they dont see a need for "additions" that make no sense.
    QBasic is a wonderful language that allows differing methods with little added overhead. All languages shared syntax rules (rules governing sentance construction) that must be adhered to. The compiler ,assuming you stick to the syntax rules, can transpose a program into an executable that will run. QBasic is an old language and the ideas that make it into a language have been evolved over with new languages. For some reason people grasp QBasic fast and become fluent in it much faster then other languages.
    Garry the link provided enlightened me to an idea. Most schoolies need to do a "final" project. We here at QB64 should do a range of these common games (hangman,wheel of fortune,blackjack,yahtzee, slot machine ,etc). Perhaps if we all did a simple version of these common games ,  a newcomer could browse the finished examples and pick the style that they relate to. The only "rules" we should impose on these finished examples are that they work and be simple.
OlDosLover.
Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:22:28 am »

Garry the link provided enlightened me to an idea. Most schoolies need to do a "final" project. We here at QB64 should do a range of these common games (hangman,wheel of fortune,blackjack,yahtzee, slot machine ,etc). Perhaps if we all did a simple version of these common games ,  a newcomer could browse the finished examples and pick the style that they relate to. The only "rules" we should impose on these finished examples are that they work and be simple.
OlDosLover.  
Ok, I guess you did see that, as those were some of the other ideas,...I like the tetris, I had one in qbasic, but who knows where it is ? I can look for it and see, if it will work with qb64,...Dusty had a wheel of fortune posted here (I think) ?,I know I have it in my computer too ,I am not sure if it was Dusty, or it had been on qb64, Mr.Whys brother, (is Dusty his brother ? ), I don't remember off hand on that, but I know I saw a wheel of fortune, and it worked pretty good.
 but that would be neat, if you , and Unseen, Dusty, anyone else has the time,...as for me, I still don't know enough,..but I will look for the tetris,...I am pretty sure it will work on qb64, or I can handle anychages that need to be made to make it work,...but yes I like the idea, and they would be some good starting demos, for later on too,What we can do is start the thread here, and see what gets posted, then, later move them to Demos, or Just start a thread in Demos,..? I'll leave that to you ,...it is late and i need to get to bed,...If I can not find the tetris, I'll let you know,....
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

OlDosLover
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:25:18 am »

Hi all,
    Oki Garry. Will look into it.
OlDosLover.
Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 01:01:22 am »

Note: on the tetris, apparently I was wrong, the only tetris I have is for DOS,but it is already compiled,.. not sure what language was used, I have tetris.com and then some files that go with it, actually I have several versiones, but none are done with qbasic,...PERL I think,...one also done with "turbo", so that might be good one too, also I checked petesqbsite, and no tetris,...
any way now I am really tired....
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

OlDosLover
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:46:40 am »

Hi all,
    Look in the ABC reader. All these programs are probably there. Network54 would be another place to find them id say.
OlDoslover.
Report Spam   Logged
Dustie Bear

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:38:21 am »

Dusty had a wheel of fortune posted here (I think) ?,I know I have it in my computer too ,I am not sure if it was Dusty, or it had been on qb64, Mr.Whys brother, (is Dusty his brother ? ), I don't remember off hand on that, but I know I saw a wheel of fortune, and it worked pretty good.

Yes I wrote the Wheel of fortune game.

removed the bold type, Didnt mean to sound harsh, Sorry

And no,,  Mr why is not my brother. I have no relatives on here.
I have no idea who Mr why is other than seeing his name in the forums.

I have posted several complete programs in this forum and on the other forum.

I Dont see people study them, Most people come to forums and ask questions
to get answers but I seldom see people willing to study code to learn from it.

QB64 realy messed up when copy and paste was added to editor. Makes people
lazy. 

By the way, copy and paste makes QB64 almost look like a windows program but
its still plain and simple a DOS programing world.

DOS stands for Disk Operating System.  People say that windows has done away
with DOS but that is not true!!  Windows has tried to hide DOS but its still there, Otherwise
you wouldn't be able to use Floppy drives, CD's, Hard drives and other periferals.

Oh and  Visual basic is not at all compatlible with QB, I, on occasion still write programs in  VB because i can do stuff in it that can not be done in QB64.

You could take little snippets out of VB code and use them on QB but thats about it.
VB uses two or more text type files to make the code not just one like QB does.

API calls etc can be done in VB giving it much more power than QB can ever have.
But I enjoy writing in QB64,, Thats why Im here.

I wouldn't say that VB is harder than  QB,  It just has to be learned cause its differant.

I wrote a program I called Winders. its a very easy program to figure out and can be adapted
to all sorts of programing. Its style very similar to how real windows programs work, BUT
I don't see people using it. WHY?  If one wants to learn to program they are going to have
to do a bit of study on what others have done already. Computers have made people lazy
to the point of not having to think! Well if one wants to learn to program its going to take
a lot more work than just asking questions.

I see questions being asked all the time of which the answers are in the WIKI.  Just
doesn't make sense. I best leave it at that!  Almost anything a person can do in QB64 is
in the wiki.

If its a question of logic or advanced math or something like that, thats differant.
Naturaly those kind of questions won't be found in the wiki.

The internet is a sea full of QB sample code etc. Its fun to come to the forum and post
code then discuss ways to do it better etc. but in reality almost anything we want to
know has been posted someplace on the net aleady if we had the time to go searching for it.   Cheesy

Dustie.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:25:26 pm by Dustie Bear » Report Spam   Logged
Unseen Machine
Post Demos

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »

I liked your wheel of fortune game, i believe i even had input in it.  Wink Galleon should add it to the samples you get with QB64.

As for VB running QB code i was refering to original VB not the contorted NON basic thing it is now.

How would you test any code without copy & paste? Would you really re-write GDK from a post just to learn how it works?

QB64 can access the windows api. Me and Galleon have posted demo's using SFML and OpenGL, and me and Stylin have also ported a lot of Irrlicht (a 3d game engine) to QB64. Hardly any of that or information on how to do it is in the wiki.

People ask questions cause they are to lazy to look for the answer, if google dont spit it out in the first 2 links they probally make a post.

What games you making at the mo Dustie?
Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »

And no,,  Mr why is not my brother   
Oh Dusty,sorry, hope I didn't offend you, if I did ,I didn't mean to, let me explain,...My logic,(can be very illlogical at times),...Just before you had joiined qb64, or I maybe i should say just before I first noticed any of your posts, Mr.Why had started a thread asking for help installing qb64 on his brothers computer,(he had a lot of troube,for some reason) anyway he never did mention the name of his brother, but did say that his brother was very good with qbasic, and had a lot of qbbasic (old) programs he had written, and they were anxious to get qb64 up and running, so he could try converting them, or compileing them in qb64. So when they finaly got qb64 running, he announced shortly,his brother would soon be posting some really neat stuff, code, demos,etc..,...Shortly after that post you posted a demo of your first stages of the wheel of fortune, I noticed a comment( I am pretty sure, I may look for the thread, and put in a link,later), (and oops sorry, folks we have really drifted, here off subject, but no matter, since it such a few people, it dosent matter to much.)
 Anyway you mentioned something, (feel free to correct me if I am wrong),
about it was based on one you did in qbasic sometime ago,...and then you aslo posted some other demos, so I just kind of asssumed, that you were the brother Mr.why had been talking about !.......Any way, I too like the wheel of fortune game, I still have it, in qb64 folder...I think it is pretty neat,...
 On the lazy, or well my excuse is time available,...and the cut and paste,..I would probably be one of the most guilty,!!!..For me the cut and paste is a Godsend,...especially since I don't have a printer,...but I do also write down stuff, parts of code, this dose help me start memorizeing  a little at a time,..
 Like wise, I have found, because usually I get such quick responses, ( and I really like and appreciate it), I have found , simpley by asking ,and explaining what it is I am trying to do,...I get pretty specific samples,....One still needs to know enough, (code, to really utilize the cut and paste), one still needs to know enough to know, where to paste, which "snippets will work, and also what if any changes need to made in other parts of the program,...which is usually what my questions are about,..eventualy I hope to know and unerstand code and processes enough to be able to just write out , my code, like I do with html tags,...because believe me, it is alot of working search thru, 100s of demos,and files, trying to find the one that has this piece of code or that piece,...HMM, I am always trying to figure out a better way to organzize my "snippets" and files in a better way, so it would be easier, but reall the easiest way would be to just learn enough to be able to write it out,...fluently,....sort of like when I first was learning spanish, it was terrible, I was always haveing to look up words in the dictionary, or ask people to write it down, so I could look it up , and later respond, etc...Now, 12 years later,
I can read and write spanish almost better then my english, speaking is harder, but that is because, I have a pretty severe speech impediment, and it is very difficult for anyone to understand me, in english or spanish....I speak extremely slurred,...for example Hello, how are you ? sound like, rerow ower u , I am fine,
 immm ine,...Pretty hard to make sense ? Ok well anyway.....
 I did try VB, just before I found out about qb64,...but even though they have a pretty good guide, or tutorial, and I followed step by step, to make a window with a button, that when you clicked it, it displayed some text,...but it seemed to complicated, and  and awfull lot of steps, just to display a little text, I couldnt imagen and still can't how some one would write a entire game or program, useing it,...
When with qb64, same as qbasic,..just  a simple

PRINT "this text"
Displays this text, now of course, putting the text in a window, gets a little more invloved,...but it is not that confuseing,...at least for me,..so I like qb64 better,...and continue with it,...
 My reasons on the original post, ok I allready explained part of that, I have noticed, it appears to me like a lot of people have alot of trouble even getting started with VB, which is why I suggested, or want to try to point out to them, they might be better off at least trying qb64,...I kind of expect, the same, once they get familiar with some basic stuff,...they wont want ,or need to waste theyer time, on VB,...and probably will be able to move up into C+, and stuff faster if thats what they want....
Well this is a really long post,...and I have a couple of "chores" I need to do,..
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Dustie Bear

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »

Sorry Gary I wasn't offended. Also I modified that last post I made and removed the bold text
which I shouldn't have used in the first place.
  Also I want to point out that your programing is  coming along very well and you don't
have to apologize for speech or anything else.
 We all have some quirks in our lives. I walk kinda funny as I had polio as a kid, some folks think its funny the way I walk, especialy when im tired. But I don't care. I raised my family in spite of it all. God has been so good to me and my family over the years.

How would you test any code without copy & paste? Would you really re-write GDK from a post just to learn how it works?
Unseen,   When I started programing years ago, there was no such thing
as copy/paste and no windows either.   I got magazines with programs in them, maybe three or four programs in each monthly magazine pluss a lot of example code similar to what we see in the forums, some programs were pages and pages long. Yep I typed them out. if it was a game I was typing that made it fun to see the outcome, then of course I would make a few typos which would cause errors, so I had to trouble shoot till I found the errors if I had made any.  Thats how I learned to program.

Glad you liked the wheel of fortune game.  since I never had advanced math in school I did borrow some of the spinning part to rotate the wheel but I modified it a lot to make it
slow down and stop like a real wheel would. otherwise its all my code. I think some of the
math to make it rotate might be some of your code, I just don't remember.

Would you really re-write GDK from a post just to learn how it works?
If there was no other way to get it and I wanted it, yep I would type it in. Im not the greatest typer, maybe 30 or 35 words a minute not counting errors. LOL
By the way I do have a copy of your GDK on my computer. didnt type it though.  Grin

I agree some things can be accessed with the API, but there are some that can not be also because some depend on a windows envirenment. So it is still a bit limited.

With spring coming on here and yard work etc to do, I rather be outside doing stuff. When summer starts to get hot I will spend more time on here again.  So I dont have any projects going except I need to add to the maze maker I put up the other day. Need to make it search for a path form one place to another then it will show a green box or something for start and maybe red box where your suppose to exit.  Shouldnt be very hard but havent gotten to it yet.

I have a few programs over on the other  forum but cant remember which ones are there and which ones are here. LOL there are only a few.  Wish I had all the programs I had when I started. Had one in a castle and you had to search for various things  in order to please the king etc, then other things like keys etc in order to get into rooms and leave the castle. that was probably one of my first ones. then they got better as time went on.

Think I might have gotten a bit off topic there, sorry.

Dustie

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:29:25 pm by Dustie Bear » Report Spam   Logged
OlDosLover
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 02:28:56 am »

Hi all,
    Good healthy discussion. I remember 1973 when we were informed we could use calculators. Previously we used logarythmns etc to work out answers. These days even slide rules are outdated and we do it with calculators. Im glad we do as the old method was hard and tiresome. How we learn is different for everyone. What i do think is that we can relate to different ideas from different people. Often i understand what unseen's programs do but im lost on the maths side. Sometimes someone else posts a maths post that i actually follow. I dont know what the best method for me to learn is.
    I think copy and paste is legitimate. Same as online dictionary's. How and why they should be used is where people differ. In my view it is the responsibility of the learner to learn and if the tutor is not "connecting" then try another tutor. Same with books , i prefer some authors as i understand and relate to their ideas.
OlDosLover.
Report Spam   Logged
Quark
Post Demos

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »

As OldDosLover says it is an interesting discussion.  My comment here is in reference to the issue of people asking questions when the information is available.  True, there are lots of people who are lazy, and there are lots of people who only use "asking a person" as their method of finding stuff out.  But I think it is true that programming has challenges built-in to it.  It is the taking of little pieces (of code) and stringing the pieces together in just the right way where there are LOTS of pieces and bunches of techniques and algorithms, etc.  Modern people are not into patience to say the least.  Anyway, one thing that would help is an easily accessed list of keywords by function on actual paper that the programmer can refer to.  I have looked on the web for such a thing for QB 4.5 with no luck, so I am slowly creating that myself.  The other thing that would be useful is a large set of of easily-searched examples for each keyword or keyword group (meaning like OPEN).  This would be fun for more advanced programmers to create.

--Quark
Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 02:17:37 pm »

Anyway, one thing that would help is an easily accessed list of keywords by function on actual paper that the programmer can refer to.  I have looked on the web for such a thing for QB 4.5 with no luck, so I am slowly creating that myself.     
This sounds like the Wiki,....have you looked at that ?

Need help quickly? Try the keyword help in the QB64 WIKI

Keyword help is listed by both alphabetical order and usage:
http://qb64.net/wiki/index.php?title=Keyword_Reference_-_By_usage
http://qb64.net/wiki/index.php?title=Keyword_Reference_-_Alphabetical
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: