Weekly Qbasic and Qb64 Lesson Topics
April 19, 2024, 07:04:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to see a specific Tutorial? ASK!

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

[DISCUSSION] Very Simple Game engine

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Very Simple Game engine  (Read 1786 times)
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »

Ok, Thanks Unseen,...

and then enjoy typing all those cases (all 240 of em!). These are no bad things though as OlDos has clearly stated that simplicity is the aim with VSGE, not functionality.   
I guess a little bit at a time, is better ( Don't want to "bite off more then I can chew", and "choke" !),...
from Garry

Report Spam   Logged

nonexistant person
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 03:16:08 am »

You will note in the  "CASE 0" line, I remarked both lines out, this was because, with that line it had a kind of olive green back ground, and I did not want that, I want the black back ground.

It was not intended for the user to rem out a line of code in that way. Although you are free to do that if you so wish. There is a better way to NOT display a particular tile if thats what you wish. The tile image file contains 8 tiles. The sequence of each tile inside this file can be changed. You could place the tile you dont like at the last tile position. The tile that you dont like can be replaced with a picture of the tile you make to replace it.
    By remming out a line in the select case you reduce the amount of tiles that can be shown by 8 to 7. Also if you have made other "maps" that use that "line in the select case" then they will no longer display correctly.
    Alternatively when you compose a new map simply dont use that tile number that you dont like and new map will display correctly as well as old maps. A better solution may be to offer inside the editor an opportunity to change the default tile number.

In the "code "  thread, you mention as a reference, PacMan, and a ghost. Later I can make a data map, with a pac man and a ghost, and a maze,...
    Yes thats correct. The PacMan comparison was to illustrate the idea compared to your already understandable knowledge of how pac man worked compared to the VSGE. However this could be used to create a pac man game. The tile , hero and enemy image files would need to be changed to suit this new idea.
    As you have demonstrated many things can be done with this fixed simple idea. And so this is a building block to test your idea. Once idea works and finished game is done you may wish to improve it with a beter engine like the GDK. The only difference would be that when you get GDK to do it you look to see how GDK works compared to how VSGE works. In this way you build your understandings.
    At this point in time the code blocks to define how hero and enemy exist inside the map and how user input creates "behaviours" have not been coded. The reason is that there are several methods that require different ideas. These will be discussed later and coded. For every particular method it has advantages and disadvantages and part of the VSGE is to make you realise those differences. This way the user chooses the method that they best understand. Once understood they will know what they can and can not do.
    I really appreciate this feedback. I have gone into great detail inside the code thread explaining line by line what is happening. This is the way your understanding builds and improves.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:46:59 pm by GarrisonRicketson » Report Spam   Logged
GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:52 am »

Ok, I do see that,especialy if you were useing other maps that are useing the same color,....I need to look at it, more, And see how different changes affect it,
All though you do explain it "line" by "line", it is more clear, when one makes a change, or edit line by line, then I see, how that line affects it,...hope that makes sense,...Obviuosly many lines, can not or should not be changed, or the program can not work.
 Any way, guess thats about it right now
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 09:02:24 pm »

I just wanted to comment, I did some more experimenting, instead of remarking out any lines, I edited the "The tile image file", or some of the tiles, IE: changed the first one to black,..I don't see any point in posting all the different, "images" I came up with, as there are to many,..My point is , I now I am seeing the "versatility" of the simple set of tiles,...it is pretty interesting.
 I still have not tried anything like changeing the _putimage co-ordinates,...basicly I understand, that will change where the tiles show, or even the size displayed, depending on what changes are made...
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:52:38 pm »

Oooh, I'm glad my needs for teaching can hopefully help other people. 'RogueCraft' ^^ I feel good now!
Calkiot, If your still around you would be welcome to post any "teaching" articals, or tutorials,...We could use someone,.
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: