Weekly Qbasic and Qb64 Lesson Topics
March 28, 2024, 12:52:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to see a specific Tutorial? ASK!

Home Help Search Arcade Links Staff List Login Register  

Introduction - Aurore

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction - Aurore  (Read 308 times)
adugas6

« on: February 16, 2013, 10:18:38 am »

Hello,
I am a healthcare programmer.  I have been using QB for what seems like a million years, it is without a doubt the best, IMO, at manipulating large amounts of data.  I don't write games, nor do I really play them, unless you count solitaire.  Typically I pull in large files that contain data that was formatted by another application (usually a mainframe) and put into a format designed for printing.  I will use QB to extract from that file data, perform calculations, reformat the output.  Things like that.  My favorite command has got to be LINE INPUT #1.  I'll also use QB to strip certain troublesome characters from these types of files.  My most recent QB program, was...we had over 600,000 lines of data that needed to be subtotaled on 6 different columns, on 3 of the subtotal lines, a formula had to be applied.  The formula I was given was originally written in Excel, and was a 17 layered nested if.  I had been asked to write a Macro in Excel to do all of this for all 600,000.  My immediate response was 'Not in Excel, but I can write all of this pretty easily in Qbasic and give you a csv file." 

So I have a question, not sure if this is the correct way to do this.  I have used QB32 like I said forever.  But I am very unhappy with having to run it in DOSBox with my new Windows 7 machine.  I had a Windows XP desktop for the past 12 years or so, which recently died, it was very sad, so now I have Windows 7.  I really want to install QB64, are there any pitfalls to this?  I would still have my QB32 on my laptop, but my desktop is my primary machine. 

Thank you
Aurore
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

GarrisonRicketson
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:07 pm »

Welcome to the forum,
 It is kind of "slow" around here, but anyway,
I really want to install QB64, are there any pitfalls to this?  I 
Most people have not had any trouble with qb64 on windows 7,...I happen to use Linux , so first hand I can't say to much, but what little I did try, I had no problem installing it to windows 7, and it seems to work fine,..
 You may have to make some changes to get any older qbasic programs to work, qb64 still  uses most of the older qbasic commands, but there are many new commands, making it considerable more versatile,.. and then of course the compiled program is a windows executable program,..
 The wiki, has more info on that, and also, at the qb64.net forum, if you do have problems there are several persons that will be able to help you,.like wise feel free to ask or post here, if I can not answer the qustion,  I usually ask at qb64.net, ..
  There are no real "pit falls" that I know of, as a Linux fan, I might say, the only real pitfall, is windows itself, but actually, to my surprise windows 7 seems to be a improvement over XP,..
 There are some pitfalls, using qb64 for Linux , but those have been pretty much worked out,...the biggest one is, if I am working with source code intended for qb64 for windows, and the writer did not pay any attention to what case he writes any included files /filenames, like images, etc,...linux is case senstive,  but anyway that is another subject, enjoy the forum.
from Garry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: